Sunday, October 17, 2010

Calling London # 2 with Civil Civic!


A few days ago I started a feature about moving to London in which I ask Londoners who know things about music in the city what they'd recommend to a stranger to this big new world.

And who better to ask than Aaron from one of my very favourite London bands at the moment, Civil Civic! They make raucous filthy music with some lovely melodies. Here's a taster.

Civil Civic - Fuck Youth Alt

Civil Civic - Run Overdrive Alt

What are your favourite venues for original live music?

- In London, for live music pubs I like The Macbeth. The Luminaire is great. For bigger venues The Forum and Koko. Except the bar at Koko is extortionate.

Clubs and Clubnights: Where’s fun to go dancing?

- I only dance at house parties after I have ransacked the punch bowl.

Favourite London bands/artists?

- I can't keep track of who actually lives here or not. There is a new project called Intergalactic Republic Of Kongo that are doing great stuff.

Upsides to being a music fan in London:

- Almost every band tours here

Downsides to being a music fan in London

- Almost every band tours here

Recommend a record store:

- I like second hand vinyl stores. Vinyl is the only physical music format I feel like handing money over for. It helps that I'm a sucker for old oddities. Flashback on Essex road in Islington is good.

Where is best to find out what’s going on?

- The best nights out are invariably the ones you never plan. I'm sure that's the case in any city. You just need one friend in the know. For everything else there's TimeOut.

facebook twitter

1 comment: